Colleagues, friends honor legendary faculty member Carlton-LaNey

by Matthew Smith

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Social Work honored one of its legends last month, recognizing a celebrated career that spanned nearly 30 years at the University.

Ushered in by the UNC Zankiliwa Dance Team and a saxophone solo, colleagues and friends honored Professor Emerita Iris Carlton-LaNey on Nov. 17 as she closed this chapter on her career.

Carlton-LaNey joined the School of Social Work as an associate professor in 1994, leading a pioneering career in the field of social work that saw her become a beacon of hope for the families she worked with and an inspiration for her students and peers.

Iris Carlton-LaNey is presented a rocking chair during her retirement party by UNC School of Social Work Dean Ramona Dinby-Brenson.
Iris Carlton-LaNey is presented a rocking chair during her retirement party by University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Social Work Dean Ramona Denby-Brinson.
“When you look to the trailblazing nature of Chapel Hill, you look to the School of Social Work,” Dean Ramona Denby-Brinson said. “We had the first African American professor and the first African American dean.

“People often talk to me about the UNC brand. I remind them of another trailblazer and the brand that she established for our School. When I think about the brand Iris Carlton-LaNey established, it’s one of meaning, connectedness and the power of storytelling.”

Carlton-LaNey positioned herself as a leader in African American social welfare history, authoring several books and publications on the subject. She spent her career observing Southern rural regions, seeking to understand the resilience of underserved communities, their resourcefulness and their strength.

Faculty inspiration

Her work inspired countless Tar Heels, including fellow faculty members.

“She was not my instructor or my academic advisor while I was a student here, but she was undoubtedly my role model,” said Trenette Goings, a 2003 graduate of UNC’s Master of Social Work program and the School’s Sandra Reeves Spears and John B. Turner Distinguished Professor.

“She’s smart, thoughtful, courageous and a true social justice advocate, while also friendly, funny and humble.”

Among her many accolades, Carlton-LaNey was named one of the “50 Heroes for Justice” by the University of Maryland at Baltimore School of Social Work; was named a Social Work Pioneer in 2015 by the National Association of Social Workers; and was recognized with the Significant Lifetime Achievement Award presented by the Council on Social Work Education.

‘What needs to be said’

In a statement read by Clinical Associate Professor Tauchiana Williams, former master’s of social work student and current assistant dean Sharon Thomas recalled a time when Carlton-LaNey pushed her to capture her dreams.

Carlton-LaNey's career at UNC began in 1994.
Carlton-LaNey’s career at UNC began in 1994.
“I was a first-year MSW student and I had lots of tears after a hard day,” Thomas wrote. “I vented to Dr. Carlton-LaNey about being homesick and my class experience. She looked at me and said, ‘What are you going to do? Because you certainly aren’t going to quit.’ That’s Iris: direct, concise and unrelenting in her support.”

Returning to the school in 2011, Thomas said she and Carlton-LaNey celebrated many accomplishments and achievements together and she always appreciated her willingness to advocate for others.

“She speaks out not because she is a risk-taker, but because she is a social worker,” Thomas said. “She speaks what needs to be said.”

Carlton-LaNey said although she hasn’t truly had the opportunity to experience retirement, there’s one thing she’s looking forward to.

“I am so happy I don’t have to go to class,” she joked. “I taught a lot of great students and most of them were exactly where they should be … in the School of Social Work. I appreciate all of you being here. It’s such a pleasure to see you and to have you here to celebrate.”

Carlton-LaNey received her bachelor’s degree from North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State College before earning her master’s from the University of Chicago and her doctorate from the University of Maryland at Baltimore. In 2016 she was named the School’s Berg-Beach Distinguished Professor of Community Social Work.

Check out more photos from the event and hear more from Carlton-LaNey’s colleagues.

If you know her and know where she came from and what she’s been through over the years, you will know she’s resilient. For that, I admire her. I’ve always admired her even though we didn’t take the same journey. I’ve always been in awe of how she’s loved me.

— Tonya Alexander, Carlton-LaNey’s niece

Thank you so much for serving in so many capacities … your scholarship has been magnified time and time again. I want to thank you, Iris, for being the best person that we could possibly have in terms of being a role model for African-centered scholarship.

— Leonard Dunston, former president of the National Association of Black Social Workers

You always shared an important perspective, that a strong and vibrant faculty represent diversity … at times in the past it seemed that we were moving to a model where every faculty member looked the same. Thank you for challenging that notion. You made a difference; a difference for our school of social work, a difference for our social workers, and a difference for your colleagues.

— Gary Bowen, former School of Social Work dean

Photography by Jafar Fallahi Photography and Cinematography