Skip to main content


Questions About Admissions

Our School offers a variety of program structures to meet the needs of our students. Our two- and three-year MSW programs  begin in August. For students who have already earned a BSW degree from an accredited institution, we offer a 12-Month Advanced Standing MSW Program that typically starts the second week of May. We also begin offering an online MSW program, starting in January 2024.

No.  GRE scores may benefit applicants who have below a 3.0 GPA from their undergraduate programs, but they are not required for MSW applications. If GRE scores are submitted, they will be considered in the application review.

We do not require a specific GPA for admission into the program. However, the average GPA for newly enrolled students is typically between 3.2 and 3. While strong scores may make an applicant highly competitive in terms of their academic aptitude, please know that the admissions committee will review your entire application package and assess admissions decisions on a more holistic basis.

We are preparing to launch an online MSW program in 2024!

We strongly advise students not to work more than 8-10 hours per week while they are full-time students in our program. Students in the 3-Year MSW program may be able to continue working full time, depending on their practicum placement setting and flexibility of their work schedule. Additionally, some students may be able to complete employer-based placements, something that can be discussed when in the program.

If you are interested in the flexibility to work while attending school, we encourage you to consider the 3-year on-campus program or online MSW program.

Applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from a four-year college or university. Although no specific coursework is required, participation in social science courses and/or related fields is preferred. If you are interested in applying to the Advanced Standing program, a Bachelor of Social Work degree from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) is required.

Applicants may apply to only one MSW program per year. Applicants may indicate in the supplemental question section of their application if they want to be considered for a different program if they are not granted admission to their initial program of choice.

Applicants will be notified of admissions decisions by:

  • Online – mid November
  • 12-Month Advanced Standing – mid February
  • 2-Year – mid March
  • 3-year – mid April

The SSW has a priority application deadline for the 2-year Full-time Program of January 9, 2024. If you apply by this date, you will receive an admissions decision by mid-February.

Applicants will be contacted via email regarding their admission decisions. We encourage students to check the status of their application using the online application system.

You can contact our current MSW Student Ambassadors who can offer a student perspective about the program. Student Ambassadors also share a blog that prospective students may enjoy reading.

Questions About Tuition and Financial Aid

UNC-Chapel Hill has been consistently rated as the nation’s best value in public higher education. Our School offers four MSW programs, and the total tuition will vary depending on the program for which you apply, as well as your residency status. For specific information regarding your program(s) of interest, please contact us. You may also visit the Office of the University Cashier for graduate school tuition rates and more information.

Our program offers various merit and need-based scholarships and other financial support. Please see the SSW Financial Aid page for more information. Funding decisions will be communicated prior to the decision deadline for the program to which you were admitted.

To be considered for the University Merit Assistantship or the Weiss Urban Livability Masters Fellowship through the UNC Graduate School, please submit your program application by December 12, 2023. We also recommend that students submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to be considered for federal aid. 

There are a limited number of research assistant positions withing the School of Social Work for MSW students.  Several research assistant positions will be awarded prior to the decision deadline. The remaining opportunities will be advertised within the School beginning in August. We do not offer teaching assistant positions to MSW students.

All application fee waivers are processed through UNC Graduate School. You will find eligibility requirements and instructions for applying for a waiver on the UNC Graduate School website.

Questions About Residency

All applicants to UNC School of Social Work will be asked about their residency status for tuition purposes on the online application. If you consider yourself a resident of North Carolina, you will be directed to complete an online NC Residency application to be considered for in-state tuition. For more information, please visit UNC Graduate School.

UNC School of Social Work does not determine residency status. If you believe that you qualify as a North Carolina resident under state law, you will need to submit a residency application to the North Carolina Residency Determination Services (RDS), a government agency that serves the entire state.

Residency applications must be submitted during designated filing periods for each semester. For additional details including application deadlines and required documentation, please visit UNC Graduate School.

Questions About Campus Visits and Campus Life

We offer a number of virtual and in-person information sessions throughout the year. Information sessions are a wonderful opportunity to meet current students and faculty in our program, learn more about the field of social work, and find out about our admissions process and financial aid opportunities. To see a list of available dates and register for upcoming information sessions, please visit our MSW Info Sessions page.

Please contact us at to schedule an appointment and let us know if you would prefer to meet via Zoom, by phone, or on campus.

UNC Visitors Center offers tours for prospective graduate students to orient them to the campus and community and to provide information on housing, dining, recreation, and graduate student life. Visit the UNC Visitors Center website for more information.

UNC School of Social Work offers resources to help admitted students locate housing options in Chapel Hill and Carrboro. For more information, please visit the Housing resource page on our website.