Skip to main content

MSW Financial Aid

MSW students often use a combination of funding sources to finance their graduate studies. All newly-admitted students receive the School’s scholarship application by email. You must submit this application to be considered for the School’s scholarships.

Our School offers more than 30 different merit- and need-based scholarships for MSW students. In addition, the School offers opportunities for student employment and assistantships (building monitor, computer lab monitor, program assistant, research assistant, etc.). Work schedules vary but are typically four to ten hours per week.

The Dean’s Research Award (DRA) is funded by the School and requires a commitment of eight hours per week as a research assistant. Recipients work directly with a faculty member, a development officer, or another School employee in a professional role, where they receive professional mentorship, a stipend, and student health insurance. Typical assignments for DRA recipients include assisting with a research project, with a fundraising activity, with a conference or other event, or with an evaluation activity. DRA recipients are selected from students whose academic preparation, experience, and leadership capacity show exceptional promise for contributions to the field of social work.

We encourage all students to explore funding opportunities from a variety of sources. Here are several starting points:

If you choose to apply for federal financial assistance (loans), you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on or before March 1. The code for UNC-Chapel Hill is 002974.


Sharon Thomas, Assistant Dean for Recruitment, Admissions and Financial Aid, 919-962-4367