Boomerang Youth, Inc.
Job: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Benefits: Retirement, Paid Time Off & Holidays
Boomerang Youth, Inc. is a non-profit organization with headquarters in Chapel Hill, NC that serves youth in Orange County in middle school and high school. Since 2006, Boomerang has inspired youth to bounce back from challenges and move toward positive change. Boomerang provides young people with the support they need in times of crisis and beyond so they can manage their challenges, cope with adversity, and become more resilient, independent young people. Our vision for our community is one where all youth view themselves – and others view them – as whole and worthy community members.
Boomerang has been an independent nonprofit since 2016. Boomerang seeks an Executive Director to steer and strategize the future of the organization in the face of the departure of its founding Executive Director. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for providing the Board of Directors with a plan for Boomerang’s future programming and staffing in service of its mission. With sound financial security for the short term, Boomerang seeks an Executive Director who can quickly build on this basis to maintain and expand funding to support the organization’s key operations.
BROAD AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Lead Boomerang in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
● In the context of COVID-19 restrictions and altered programming implementation, ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, consistent quality of finance and administration, communications, and systems; define, evaluate, and recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve program sustainability.
● Appropriately engage and energize Boomerang Board members, event committees, partnering organizations, and funders.
● Lead, coach, develop, inspire, and retain Boomerang’s team.
● Build networks and relationships, including funders and school and community partners, to support the organization’s sustainability and efficacy.
● With discretion and selectivity as time, circumstances, and opportunities allow, provide individual services to program participants.
1) Evaluate current organizational strategic plan and programming to assess future viability.
2) Identify adaptations to programming that may be beneficial to students and systems in the face of COVID-19 and innovations that will support student programming ongoing.
3) Represent Boomerang actively and visibly in the community and beyond by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations, funders, and partners.
4) Hire and supervise employees. Review and approve contracts for services.
5) Communicate effectively with the Board of Directors, and provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to make informed decisions about the current state and future of the organization.
6) In partnership with the Treasurer of the Board of Directors, develop, implement, and monitor annual budget and oversee fiscal management of organization.
7) Lead fundraising and development to garner resources necessary to support Boomerang’s functions and growth.
The Executive Director will be thoroughly committed to Boomerang’s mission, and should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. Specific requirements:
● College degree, with at least 5 years of management experience
● Track record of effectively leading an outcomes-based organization and staff and with developing and operationalizing strategies
● Excellence in organizational management with the ability to inspire and develop staff
● Past success working and communicating with a Board of Directors and motivating board members and other volunteers.
● Solid, hands-on, budget management skills
● Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
● Ability to convey a vision of Boomerang’s strategic future to staff, Board, volunteers and donors
● Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
● Strong written and oral communication skills
● Expertise in engaging and partnering with stakeholders from diverse social, racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds with an approach that fosters equity and inclusion
● Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
● Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
We actively encourage diverse candidates to apply. Boomerang Youth, Inc., provides equal employment opportunities without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by December 28th, 2020. Candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted by January 15, 2021.