“10 Questions” is a feature where we get to know School of Social Work people better by asking them 10 personal questions. This month we interview Assistant Dean for Recruitment, Admissions and Financial Aid Sharon Thomas.
1. What is your favorite TV show?
2. What is your favorite movie?
The Color Purple
3. Who is your favorite performer?
Prince and New Edition (my favorite boy band of all time)
4. What is your favorite food?
Seafood, sushi, Thai, Italian, anything chocolate, and bacon.
5. What is your favorite place to visit?
Cape Town, South Africa
6. What is one skill you wish you could do better?
Sing. In my mind, I sound like Whitney Houston, but it reality, not so much.
7. Who is the person in history you’d most like to meet?
There’s a long list! My grandmothers. (They were both deceased before I was born and I’ve always wished I had had an opportunity to know and learn from them.) I’d also love to meet Ida B. Wells, Marcus Garvey and Nelson Mandela.
8. Who do admire most and why?
My parents. Neither were able to go to college, but they made sure their children were given the educational opportunities they never had. They’ve also been married for 56 years, which I find pretty amazing.
9. Who was your most inspirational teacher?
Mr. Brown, my 10th grade world history teacher. He inspired me to look at the world and my place in it in an entirely different way.
10. What talents do you have outside of your faculty work?
I play a mean game of Monopoly.