“10 Questions” is a new feature on Contact where we’ll get to know School of Social Work people better by asking them 10 personal questions. This month we interview Clinical Assistant Professor Mat Despard.
1. What is your favorite TV show?
2. What is your favorite movie?
It’s a Wonderful Life
3. Who is your favorite performer?
Wilco (runner-up: Umphrey’s McGee)
4. What is your favorite food?
Anything Latin American (including Caribbean)
5. Who is the person in history you’d most like to meet?
Toussaint L’Ouverture – leader of the Haitian Revolution.
6. Who do admire most and why?
Gina Duncan. She is a friend in Haiti who runs a community-based organization there. She has faced an unbelievable number of challenges, including the January 2010 earthquake, yet she perseveres despite funding and other difficulties, seldom receiving recognition for her hard and outstanding work.
7. What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
“It’s not about you”, which I’ve selectively chosen to ignore with this feature 😉
8. Who is your favorite former/current Carolina athlete?
9. What is the best thing about working at Carolina?
Getting paid to run my mouth in front of a bunch of students who have to listen to me 😉
10. What is the best thing about your family?
They put up with my nonsense and keep me laughing (at myself, usually).