Master of Social Work student spotlights

by Chloe Yopp

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Social Work is home to many wonderful students. To celebrate members of our community and their unique stories, we’re spotlighting students to learn more about their current job title, why they chose UNC and more.

April 2024 Spotlights

Sofia Lawrence (right)

Student Spotlight: Sofia Lawrence (she/her)

Program: 3-Year MSW

Current job title: Crisis Response Assistant at Orange County Rape Crisis Center and Master Teacher Training YMCA of the Triangle.

Why did you choose UNC School of Social Work?:  I was especially inspired by the work of Dr. Travis Albritton (& others!) in critical perspectives in social work higher education. They have planted such powerful seeds of belonging in how and what they teach such that the next generation of social workers are inspired to pull the profession ever closer to what it means to honor ALL human beings.

To this end, my time at UNC has really given me the tools to think and act tenaciously, critically, and creatively around incredibly tender topics. UNC has given me SO many opportunities to (1) learn, in deep and honest ways, about the humans with whom I share this planet, (2) celebrate and honor voices across the tapestry of humanity (especially those who have been pushed to the margins), and (3) reach across time & space such that I can be in a continual examination of my own guiding values & ethics.

Favorite book: Time is a Mother by Ocean Vuong

Favorite movie: Marcel the Shell With Shoes On

Jasmine Rodriguez Perez

Student Spotlight: Jasmine Rodriguez Perez (she/her)

Program: Online MSW

Current job title: Foster Care and Adoptions Social Worker at Burke County Department of Social Services

How will your Online MSW degree help you achieve your goals? As an aspiring social worker, I hope to create a bridge that lessens the gap between the Hispanic population and the barriers they face when it comes to seeking services. With my MSW degree, I will raise awareness of the language barriers some individuals face and plan to network with other bilingual providers to provide more resources for the Hispanic population and others. Another area of interest to me is health disparities and advocating for policies that promote equity and address disparities.

How does an Online MSW help you balance other commitments? It allows me to balance my commitments because I can do everything on my own time. It has given me the flexibility to work full-time, spend time with family, and even continue playing volleyball.

Why did you choose UNC School of Social Work? It is an inclusive environment that has helped me expand my knowledge of social work practice.  Its mission is to advance equity and improve the lives of others which is exactly what I am interested in, to seek social justice for everybody. This program will lead me to opportunities and the academic support needed to grow into a competent social worker.

Favorite food: Tacos

Coffee or tea? Coffee