HOPWA: Short-term Rent Mortgage and Utilities (STRMU) Social Worker
We are seeking an individual to serve as a Social Worker to assist HIV+ individuals of Wake, Franklin & Johnston County with Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS (HOPWA) Short Term Rent, Mortgage and Utilities (STRMU). This position will assist community clients/families living with HIV/AIDS to maintain housing stability. The HOPWA STRMU Social Worker will conduct assessments of clients’ housing needs and will provide financial assistance to clients and families to prevent homelessness. The Social Worker will provide housing information and linkages to services to prevent disruption in care. The individual in this role will interact with clients and work cooperatively as part of a multidisciplinary team. This social worker will work to form strong relationships with community landlords to increase resources to assist low-income clients and families to improve their access to HIV/AIDS treatment and other related supportive services. They will work with a harm reduction and client-centered approach.
Principal functions and responsibilities of this position include the following:
• Assess housing needs of community clients/families living with HIV/AIDS.
• Conducts initial intake and assessment for HOPWA STRMU assistance.
• Submits all items needed to financial person for payment.
• Develops and continuously monitors client driven housing service plan for those receiving HOPWA STRMU assistance.
• Advocate for clients with landlords and providers as needed.
• Develop strong relationships with private, for profit, and not-for-profit landlords.
• Provides information on housing options and assists with housing location assistance.
• Provides referrals to ensure clients are receiving medical care.
• Maintains spreadsheet of all assistance received by each client.
• Maintains accurate and current records in HMIS, CAREWare, Centricity database systems, including documentation of HIV condition, HOPWA assessment, demographics, progress logs, services plans, and services provided.
• Assist with all reporting for grant.
Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or in related field
One (1) year of experience in health or social services related area. Experience working with homeless individuals, or people living with disabling conditions, including severe and persistent mental illness or HIV/AIDS preferred
Psychosocial intervention skills. Analytical and problem-solving skills. Strong written, verbal and telephone communication skills. Ability to work within interdisciplinary setting.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills. Bilingual preferred (Spanish & English)
• Strong attention to detail and the ability to provide efficient, quality service to both internal and external customers.
• Solid interpersonal skills along with the ability and willingness to respect and value the differences and perceptions of different groups/individuals.
• Knowledge of the causes of homelessness, who it affects, and the factors (e.g., racial inequities, Socio Economic Status) that can contribute to an individual being homeless.
• Strong knowledge or ability to learn the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) programs and program requirement, rules, and procedures.
• Ability to manage multiple projects, establish workload priorities, and meet deadlines are critical.
Details: One year grant funded position (July 2021 – June 2022)
The Greer Group, Inc.
3109 Charles B. Root Wynd
Raleigh, NC 27612
For Additional Questions:
Wake County Health and Human Services
Social Workers Supervisor