According to WCC and national data, nonacademic barriers related to unmet basic needs account for nearly half the reasons cited by students for dropping courses. Addressing unmet basic needs of students can boost retention and graduation rates. WCC’s current strategic plan has a target of doubling our three-year graduation rate. Accomplishing this goal requires that the college improve efforts to address the basic needs of students. The Resource Connections Coordinator/Social Worker position is a new effort to address this need. This person will report to the Dean of Student Services and support the college’s efforts to develop a unified model to address the diverse non-academic needs of students.
This is grant-funded position. Funding has been secured for at least three years.
Core duties will include the following:
• Conduct intake, needs assessment, and case management for students via the Single Stop platform.
• Research and advocate for public assistance resources for students. Facilitate referrals to partnering service providers.
• Manage functions of the Resource Connections program, including student emergency fund, food pantry, Finish Line Grant, and Single Stop platform.
• Assess, develop, and promote services related to basic needs.
• Develop an Intern Program with Appalachian State University
• Supervise Resource Connections Coordinator, program interns, work-study students, and volunteers.
• Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with community agencies, businesses, and churches.
• Collaborate with all academic divisions, student services, academic advisors, and other stakeholders to ensure the success of the Resource Connections program.
• Oversee collection and reporting of student data/metrics including client contacts, referrals, outcomes, and retention. Prepare annual report on the Resource Connections Program.
• Co-Chair the Resource Connections Advisory Council.
• Provide back-up assistance to the Counseling and Career Services team with counseling and crisis intervention.
• Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisor.