Clinical Social Worker/Intake Specialist, Comprehensive Cancer Center
Job Identification Job Category Locations
27178 Health / Human Services Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC, 27157, US
Posting Date Job Schedule Job Shift
11/10/2021, 01:59 PM Full time Day
The Comprehensive Cancer Center has a team of over 400 physicians and researchers focused on preventing, detecting, treating and surviving cancer. Our clinicians represent all aspects of cancer care including those in the fields of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Gynecologic Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Surgical Oncology and Colon and Rectal Surgery. These specialists are committed to offering patients the latest treatments, technologies and clinical trials, including precision medicine, cancer genomics, immunotherapy and bone marrow transplant.
The cancer center’s Cancer Patient Support Program provides a range of support resources and programs to help patients and their family members successfully address the various non-medical issues they face while dealing with cancer.
Works directly with cancer patients and/or their families, identifies relevant medical history, physical and mental health concerns, and identifies psychosocial needs. Determines what services the patient may benefit from within or outside the hospital and guides patients to the right areas and the appropriate clinical providers. Manages inpatient service(s) by responding to consultations and conducting individual therapy. May be required to maintain an outpatient caseload. May be involved in crisis prevention or aiding with problems with adjustment after a major life event. Performs basic assessment, treatment, crisis intervention and consultative work with patients and their family members. Maintains thorough and confidential records of observations. Acts as a liaison to hospital and Cancer Center staff as needed.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
Master’s degree in Social Work from an institution accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, and/or REGISTRATION
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in the state of North Carolina.
REQUIRED SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
• Clinical social work experience
• Excellent interpersonal and human relations skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Establishes positive working relationships and works to reduce workplace conflict
• Exercises good clinical judgment
• Proficient in computer skills
• Interviewing & reporting skills
• Must be highly motivated, dependable, and compassionate
PREFERRED SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
• Triage or intake experience
• Familiarity with insurance processes and procedures or understanding of general terminology
• Knowledge of medical terminology and/or experience working in a health services or oncology setting
• Working knowledge of and ability to speak Spanish
1. Completes needs-based evaluations to determine the psychosocial treatment level each patient requires, makes community referrals as needed, and provides referrals to other support services within the Comprehensive Cancer Center as appropriate
2. Contacts referring agents with any questions/concerns while maintaining documentation within the EMR for all patient encounters and related correspondence and communicates necessary information to providers
3. Collaborates with Access Center representative(s) to schedule first time patient appointments for clinical providers (may be required to assist directly or indirectly with appointment scheduling)
4. Maintains routine communication with multiple parties and initiates follow-up phone calls, as needed, to ensure patients receive appropriate internal and external referral information
5. Completes initial assessment and intervention with hospitalized patients and appropriate follow-up- requires rapid assessment, coordination with the medical team, and psychological intervention as indicated
6. Leads and directs individual psychoeducation and support sessions of interpretative nature using techniques to give patients insight into their behavior and emotions in the inpatient and/or outpatient settings
7. Discusses clinical findings and impressions of patients during staff meetings and multi-disciplinary case conferences
8. Performs other related duties under the direction of the Interim Director
• Subject to many interruptions
• Subject to irregular hours