The story of social work in North Carolina has its beginnings at UNC-Chapel Hill. In 1920, University of North Carolina President Harry Woodburn Chase, in cooperation with the N.C. Department of Charities and Public Welfare and the American Red Cross, officially launched the School of Public Welfare. The mission at the time: to educate and develop a clinical workforce of “country social workers,” trained with the hard and soft skills to work in the rural South. Over the next 100 years, our School witnessed significant growth and achievement, rising to one of the nation’s leading schools of social work. Our latest edition of Contact magazine reflects on this history and the impact our School continues to make as our faculty and students work to fulfill our mission of advancing equity, transforming systems and improving lives.