School recruits outstanding minority students at diversity event

By Glamarys Acevedo, MSW/MPH student and Student Services program assistant

The 3rd annual on-campus Diversity Recruitment Event was hosted on February 23 at the UNC School of Social Work. Despite the wintery weather, 14 students were warmly welcomed for a full day at the school. The undergraduate social work students represented various colleges and universities across North Carolina: Bennett College, Elizabeth City State University, Fayetteville State, Livingstone College, North Carolina A&T, North Carolina Central University, Saint Augustine’s University and Shaw University.

During their time on campus, students enjoyed a welcome from the Dean, lunch with School faculty, and campus and NASW representatives, and had the opportunity to attend a class. One student shared how enriching that experience was: “Prior to the event, I was considering UNC-CH, but I definitely had my reservations concerning whether or not I could keep up. Being able to sit in an actual class completely eliminated my fears and enhanced my confidence in my abilities as a future social worker. The students and faculty were so polite and welcoming. This event was an unforgettable one and I am positive that future students will enjoy and appreciate it just as much as I have.”

Students were also able to meet with faculty, staff, and current MSW students which many expressed helped to ease some of the anxiety they had about applying to the MSW program in the future. The second day of the program was cancelled due to snow, but the students shared that the event was still impactful to them.

The event was co-sponsored by NASW-NC, the UNC Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs and the UNC Graduate School.