“10 Questions” is a feature where we get to know School of Social Work people better by asking them 10 personal questions. This month we interview Professor Iris Carlton-LaNey.
1. What is your favorite TV show?
Law and Order.
2. What is your favorite food?
Shrimp and Key Lime Pie, not necessarily together.
3. What is your favorite place to visit?
4. What is one skill you wish you could do better?
I wish I could play the tenor sax. That is my favorite instrument.
5. If you could spend three hours doing anything, what would it be?
It’s between shoe shopping, reading and going out to eat with special people.
6. Who was your most inspirational teacher?
Dr. Will Scott. He was the department chair of my undergraduate social work program.
7. What talents do you have outside of your faculty work?
8. What is the best thing about working at Carolina?
Getting to know the social work students who matriculate through our program. They are so bright and committed and they make me proud. The social work students are terrific.
9. What is the best thing about your family?
My family is rather small, but we love each other dearly and make time to be together whenever possible. My oldest brother has a birthday party each year and we all make our way home (Warsaw, N.C.) to celebrate with him. That’s always fun and one of the few times I get to line dance. We now have three babies in the family, my great nephew and my two great nieces.
10. What are your hobbies?
Painting and sewing.