10 Questions: Get to know Rebecca Macy

“10 Questions” is a feature where we get to know School of Social Work people better by asking them 10 personal questions.
This month we interview the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Dr. Rebecca Macy.

1. What is your favorite TV show?
My favorite TV show of all time is “Homicide: Life on the Street,” and my favorite TV show currently is “Supernatural.”

2. What is your favorite movie?
There’s a tie. Ang Lee’s “Sense and Sensibility” and Amy Heckerling’s “Clueless.” Yes, they are both based on Jane Austen novels.

3. Who is your favorite performer?
Some of my favorite albums and concerts in the past few years have been from UNC’s and North Carolina’s own Tift Merritt.

4. What is your favorite food?
Can wine be considered a food?

5. What is your favorite place to visit?
Nordstrom’s shoe department.

6. What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
“You just have to start somewhere.” That was my Dad’s advice to me when I was trying to decide what to do after college. I ended up going to graduate school to be a social worker and that’s turned out pretty well for me. No regrets whatsoever.

7. What talents do you have outside of your faculty work?
People in yoga class compliment me on my dancer’s pose and backbend pose.

8. What is your most prized possession?
A very simple, plastic comb that belonged to my grandmother Madonna Dakin O’Neil.

9. What is the best thing about working at Carolina?
The people. I cannot imagine any place with so many warm, gracious, thoughtful, smart, hard-working faculty, staff and students.

10. Where did you go for your last vacation?
On a Disney cruise to Alaska with my parents, my sister, and my two nieces who are six and nine years old. We were celebrating my parents’ 50th wedding anniversary. It was a joy to be with people I love on such a fun trip in such breathtaking country.