Meet Tannenbaum Scholar Alton Scales

Alton Scales is a student in our Winston-Salem Advanced Standing MSW Distance Education Program. Scales is very excited that he has successfully completed his first two semesters at UNC. A native of Greensboro, he received a B.S. in Social Work in 2002 and a B.S. in Special Education in 2004 from N.C. Agricultural and Technical State University.

Scales was awarded the Tannenbaum scholarship, created for students in good academic standing.

“I am so honored to have been selected for this scholarship,” said the happily married father of two beautiful daughters. “The Tannenbaum scholarship has helped me pursue my dream of furthering my education by lessening the financial burden on my family.”

Scales is a direct practice student and is completing his field practicum at Family Service of the Piedmont in Guilford County. He completes psychosocial assessments and provides ongoing interventions for the clients that he works with. He is learning to work with many different types of clients, including families and those suffering from substance abuse and trauma.

His future plans include becoming a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) and possibly pursuing a doctorate degree to research mental health problems in relation to families of color.

“Attending UNC’s School of Social Work has been a life changing event for me,” he said. ” I believe that the education I’m receiving is second to none!”

Please help students like Alton by giving to the School of Social Work