Meet Armfield Scholar Monica Hadley

First year full-time MSW student Monica Hadley is excited about beginning her social work education at UNC. Hadley is a native of Pittsboro and a 2007 graduate of Wake Forest University with a BA in Religion.

Hadley was awarded the Jane Hall and William Johnston Armfield Scholarship, an award established to promote racial and cultural diversity within the student body.

“Receiving this scholarship reminds me that a great deal of confidence has been placed in me to contribute to the field of social work as a student and throughout my professional career,” said Hadley. “I am thankful for the generous donors who provide financial assistance for students to pursue a career in social work.”

As a direct practice concentration student, Hadley said she recognizes an increasing need for individuals in the field who are truly passionate about providing services and empowering those that are most severely in need. With interests in child welfare and strengthening families, she looks forward to collaborating with families, agencies and communities across the state.

“My passion for encouraging young people to strive for their full potential motivates me to protect the welfare of children,” she said.

Her first-year field placement is in the Alamance County Division of Social Services in child welfare, which allows her to apply the skills and knowledge received from classroom instruction.

Please give to the School of Social Work