Writing Resources and References
Tutorials on Understanding Plagiarism and Scholarly Writing
- Librarians from UNC, Duke, NCSU and NCCU created this new interactive site, which teaches you how to recognize plagiarism and how to avoid it.
- Plagiarism and Citing Sources: This tutorial was created by the Education Services and User Services Staff at the UNC Health Sciences Library.
- Evaluating Scholarly Content Online: This brief tutorial is part of the UC Berkeley Library Tutorials and offers a lesson on evaluating the quality of online sources in scholarly writing.
Writing Process Demonstrations
UNC's Writing Center developed this great resource for students about the writing process. Individual modules offer lessons on "getting started, developing ideas, drafting and revising."
- UNC's Writing Center offers support for non-native speakers of English, including international undergraduate, graduate, and exchange students, and postdoctoral scholars.
- ESL Writing Groups: Small groups working in a similar discipline who meet weekly to share, discuss, and improve their academic writing.
- ESL Mini-courses: Free, non-credit classes on writing, grammar, vocabulary (online), presentations, and pronunciation.
- Individual tutoring, online videos, speaking groups, workshops, international coffee hour, and more: www.unc.edu/writingcenter/esl for details.
- For more information about ESL services at the Writing Center, please contact Gigi Taylor, ESL specialist, at 919-962-0725. Also, visit ESL on the Hill blog.
School of Social Work writing resources
- APA Style Help - An online guide for learning and using APA style, including a linkable list of Frequently Asked Questions.
- APA Quick Reference Guide - Quick reference tool for APA style issues that most frequently arise in student writing. This a condensed version of the APA publication manual, which should still be consulted for more comprehensive information.
- What's New in the APA 6th Edition? - Everything you need to know about all the recent changes to the American Psychological Association's Manual of Style.
- How To Write a Great Paper - General writing tips and advice on presenting a paper that will be well-received by instructors.
- Template for an APA-Formatted Paper- A pdf document that shows you what a properly formatted paper should look like, including examples of headings, tables and figures, and references.
Writing Workshop Powerpoint Presentations (PDF)
- 2013 Advanced Standing - Writing for the MSW Program
- 2012 Writing Tips for the MSW Program - JumpStart Presentation on 10 tips to help you succeed as a writer in the graduate program.
- 2011 Organization and Outlines - Tips for creating outlines to improve your writing process.
- 2010 Writing Tips for MSW Program (APA style) - Tips for understanding assignments, researching, citations and more
- Beyond the APA Basics: Advanced APA - Teaches rules on using numbers, lists, tables, figures, appendices and offers tips on self-editing
- Writing Efficiently (Econo-Write) - Tips for researching and writing papers more efficiently and effectively.
- Building a Logical Argument - Tips for putting critical thinking into words and improving argumentative writing
- Polishing Your Prose - Tips on the proper use of transitions and APA headings
- Grammar and Writing Mechanics Review Part 1 - Building blocks, clauses, commas, and sentence structure
- Grammar and Writing Mechanics Review Part 2 - 10 most common problems
- Avoiding Plagiarism Part 1 and Avoiding Plagiarism Part 2 - Tips for avoiding plagiarism
The Portable Editor: Writing Tip Sheets
- Landscaping for All Seasons
- Perfecting the Group Writing Process
- Serving Up a Healthy Course of Great Writing
- APA Citation Quiz
- Quoting and Paraphrasing
- Understanding Modifiers
- Getting Feedback
- Five Usage Pitfalls
- The Literature Review: Knowing Where to Stop
- Avoiding Procrastination
- Forget Sounding Smart: Be Direct
- Reducing Bias in Language
- A Fresh Start to Writing
- Citing the DSM in APA Style
- Verb Tense Consistency
- Tips for Writing Clear, Concise Sentences
- Common grammatical and style problems
- Most Common APA Errors
- Cover Letters
- Creating Outlines
- Organizing Your Writing
- Argumentative Writing
- APA Checklist
- Improving the clarity and flow of your writing
- Cut the Jargon
- Headings: APA Style Updates
- DOIs and New Formats for Works with Multiple Authors
- Citing Archival Sources
- Microsoft Word Tricks to Make Life Easier
- Creating a Hanging Indent Format for Your Reference Section
- Using Seriation and Parallel Structure
- Commonly Misused and Confused Words
- Effective Proofreading
- Revising Drafts
- Precise Language: While & Since, That & Which
- APA Rules for Numbers
- Active vs. Passive Voice
- Comparisons and Word Choice
- Cutting the Fat From Your Writing