Peer Navigator (Peer Specialist)
Summary of Job: Provides recovery support to adults receiving mental health services in the community. Works with adult providing hope, encouragement, support, self-determination and connection to the community. Assists in implementing and creating a recovery environment. Acts as an advocate for the needs and rights of every person.
I. Essential Job Functions
- Assist in developing natural supports and community living so a greater sense of identity is established.
- Ability to facilitate recovery information and recovery tools (i.e. Support Groups, MHFA, WRAP, etc.)
- Model personal responsibility, self-advocacy, and hopefulness via telling of own recovery story, how needs are respectfully met, and how a belief in themselves is maintained.
- Cultivate connectedness in the person’s life (self, others, the environment, and to meaning and purpose).
- Maintain a safe client environment by completing safety checks and removing any hazardous objects and recording findings to designated personnel.
- Under direct supervision, may provide supportive services and conduct related activities such as recreation, meal preparation, instruction in daily living skills, etc.
- Responsible for cleaning duties and restocking of supplies as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Documents relevant and required information and services provided in the identified service record (electronic or otherwise) assuring continuity of care as a tool for communication with other team members.
- Maintain and observe all HIPAA regulations.
- Provide timely, quality and accurate documentation in accordance with program standards.
III. Safety/ Physical Environment
- Participates as a team member to provide a safe recovery environment. Utilizes infection control and other safety standards. Contributes to the cleanliness of the work place.
- Utilizes effective positive engagement and conflict resolution skills.
- Fosters personal and environmental wellness by taking care of self and maintaining environmental wellness by reporting infection and on the job injuries.
- Assesses emergency situations, notifies supervisor of actual or potential challenges, exercises judgment in stressful conditions and responds calmly and quickly. Displays teamwork during emergencies.
- Influence and improve operations which are not under direct control.
- Use problem solving methods and critical thinking to continuously improve operations.
IV. Education, Licenses and Experience
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Successfully completed National Peer Support Specialist Certification and/or North Carolina State Peer Certification.
- Current or past recipient of mental health services.
- 1-2 years’ work experience with population served.
V. Additional Requirements, Certifications and Qualifications
- Participates in required training upon hire and maintains all annual training requirements as assigned.
- Annual completion of Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) Training.
- Must have TB test clearance.
- Participates in Supervision (One hour for every 40 hours worked).
- Driving record clearance for the past 39 months as determined by the State Department of Motor Vehicles
- Valid North Carolina Driver’s license (by assignment)
- Must be able to meet the requirements of the organizations driver’s policy.
VI. Working Conditions
Works in general office environment and behavioral health clinical areas. Some risk involved in the event people being served have challenges with control which is mitigated by team training in verbal de-escalation skills. Must possess visual and audio skills to complete job duties. Schedule may include long hours and travel throughout geographic region.
VII. Physical Requirements
Works in a standard office environment or individual’s home with some exposure to hazardous situations. Physical demands may include work close to the eyes and substantial motions of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers. Sitting, standing, walking, handling, finger dexterity; eye-hand-foot coordination, use of corrected vision; color vision; use of auditory senses. May be required to lift up to twenty (20) pounds.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the primary function.
Apply/send cover letter & resume to: