Faculty and staff were recently honored with 2019 UNC School of Social Work Recognition Awards. Recipients were nominated by colleagues and students in the School of Social Work, and the awards were presented April 25 at the last faculty meeting of the academic year.
The School established the awards program in 2013 to recognize the high quality work of faculty and staff. Winners receive a cash award, a personal plaque, and inclusion on a perpetual plaque located in the lobby of the School.
This year’s award recipients are:
- Barbara Leach, program coordinator, Family Support Program, Excellence in Public Engagement Award
- Cindy Justice, executive assistant, Excellence in Staff Performance Award
- Sarah Naylor, associate dean for Student Affairs, Excellence in MSW Student Advising Award
- Theresa Palmer, clinical assistant professor, Excellence in Teaching Award
- Mark Testa, Sandra Reeves Spears and John B. Turner Distinguished Professor, Excellence in Faculty Mentoring Award
- Mimi Chapman, associate dean for Doctoral Education, Excellence in School and University Service Award
- Cindy Fraga Rizo, assistant professor, Excellence in Research Award
The School also honored posthumously Matthew Howard with the Excellence in Doctoral Student Mentoring Award. Howard, the Frank A. Daniels Distinguished Professor for Human Services Policy Information, died on Dec. 15, 2018, following a lengthy hospitalization.