10 Questions: Get to know Rebecca Brigham

“10 Questions” is a new feature on Contact where we’ll get to know School of Social Work people better by asking them 10 personal questions. This month we interview Rebecca Brigham, director of our field education program.

1. What is your favorite TV show?
I don’t really have the patience to sit down and watch TV.  More often, the TV is on and I listen to it while doing other things.  That being said, I most enjoy watching Glee, as it goes along with my general philosophy of life, which is to live life (whenever possible) while singing!  I also love the Food Network.

2. What is your favorite movie?
The English Patient.

3. Who is your favorite performer?
The Indigo Girls.  I also love Black Sabbath (no… not really).

4. What is your favorite food?
Lobster.  Enough said.

5. What is your favorite place to visit?
This is a hard one for me, as I love to travel.  However, I do find traveling to India to be the most exhilarating.  I love discovering myself through this beautiful culture.

6. What is one skill you wish you could do better?
I’ve always wished that I could sing better than I do… it goes along with the life as a musical thing.  Maybe that’s why my life always seems a bit off key?

7. What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
The best advice I’ve received recently is “it’s not about you” and “breathe….” Other good advice I’ve learned from over the years is to “not close any doors.” I’ve not always been successful at that one, but I do try.

8. What is the best thing about your family?
We love to be with each other.  Even as my kids are getting a little bit older, we still like spending time with each other more than anything else.  My husband and I are a older than most parents, so it’s pretty terrific that we can still keep up with the kids.

9. What are your hobbies?
Photography and memory keeping (well, yes, I admit that some might call that scrapbooking).

10. What is the best thing about working at Carolina?
I love the intellectual freedom and debate.  I also appreciate being expected to perform with excellence and then feeling supported and appreciated when I do.