How to Apply
2014 Application Deadlines:
Please note: If you are reapplying to the SSW, then all materials EXCEPT unexpired GRE scores must be resubmitted.
Graduate School Admissions Office
To be evaluated for admission, ALL applicants must complete the following and send electronically to the Graduate School Admissions Office:
- UNC Graduate School Application. Complete online.
- Application fee is $85
- Personal narrative (4 - 5 pages)
- Current resume
- One unofficial transcript* from each university attended must be uploaded within the application. Please do not mail transcripts as part of your admission application. If you are offered admission, one official paper transcript for each university attended will be required prior to class registration. International applicants must also provide an English translation. *If you are currently enrolled in school, we require an unofficial copy of your transcript that will include your Fall 2013 semester grades.
- Three letters of recommendation. All recommendations must be submitted online by the individual writing your letter. Once you enter and save the name and email address of your recommender, they will receive instructions on how to upload the letter. A copy of the recommendation guidelines should be given to the those writing the recommendations. One academic recommendation is required if you are a recent graduate. If not a recent graduate, a letter from a supervisor attesting to your academic capability is required. The other two or more of the recommendations should be from those who have observed you in social work activities.
- Request ETS to send official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores to the Graduate School. The GRE must be taken by the application deadline of the program to which you are applying; if you have already taken the GRE, your scores must be within five years of your application. Applicants should indicate institution #5816 (UNC-Chapel Hill) as a recipient when requesting score reports. Applicants who have a research or professional doctorate degree from an accredited institution may request an exemption from the GRE. Please note: Your GRE scores will not be linked to your application until 7-10 days after you submit your application.
- Interviews will be required of all competitive international and distance education applicants. The School of Social Work admissions office will contact all applicants for interviews.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language TOEFL scores for international applicants who received their bachelor’s degree at a school where English was not the primary language. Applicants must meet minimum TOEFL scores as set by the School of Social Work.
- International applicants must also submit a financial certificate and supporting documentation.
- Any Social Work applicant who has responded "yes" to any of the Honor Statement questions on the UNC Graduate School application may be asked to submit to a background check before their application will be reviewed. Failure to provide complete, accurate, and truthful information on your application will be grounds to deny or withdraw an applicant's admission or for dismissal after enrollment.
Distance Education applicants must also submit a one-page response to supplemental application questions and complete a required interview in late January through March.
Advanced Standing applicants must also submit the following additional documents:
- Reference letter from BSW program director or field instructor coordinator, if a recent graduate (within the last five years). This can be one of the three required recommendations.
- If you have been out of school more than seven years, you must complete a supplemental form to be considered for Advanced Standing. This information helps us determine your eligibility for entering the UNC Chapel Hill School of Social Work as an Advanced Standing student. This form is only required for BSW graduates with more than seven years out of their undergraduate social work programs. If your request is denied for consideration for the Advanced Standing Program, you may be considered for the Full-time or the Traditional Distance Education Program. (Applicants may only apply to one program per year.)
- A copy of Field Instructor's evaluations from undergraduate placement will be required prior to Advanced Standing Orientation.
Advanced Standing applicants must also meet the following requirements:
- Have a B or better average GPA in the last 60 credit hours of an accredited bachelor's degree and a B or better in all of the required undergraduate social work classes. Exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis.
- Completed a direct service field placement of at least 400 clock hours with a grade of B or better. Applicants with MSW supervision in their undergraduate placement are preferred.
Note about residency: In order to be considered for in-state residency status for tuition purposes any student, admitted to and enrolled in a graduate degree program administered by The Graduate School, with an undetermined or nonresident status is required to submit a residency application in order to be considered for re-classification for in-state tuition benefits. Please visit the NC Residency page of the UNC Graduate School’s website for more information.
For more information about the School of Social Work or the admissions process, please contact:
Assistant Dean, Recruitment, Admissions and Financial Aid
Assistant Director of Recruitment, Admissions and Financial Aid
Or visit the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Social Work Admissions Office:
325 Pittsboro Street, Suite 370
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3550