How to Apply
Tentative 2014 Application Deadlines:
We encourage you to apply early! If you are a full-time applicant and would like to be considered for the University Merit Assistantship or the Weiss Urban Livability Masters Fellowship, please complete your application by December 10.
Please note: If you are reapplying to the SSW, then all materials EXCEPT the GRE must be resubmitted.
Graduate School Admissions Office
To be evaluated for admission, ALL applicants must complete the following and send electronically to the Graduate School Admissions Office:
- UNC Graduate School Application. Complete online.
- Application fee is $85
- Personal narrative (4 - 5 pages)
- Current resume
- One unofficial transcript* from each university attended must be uploaded within the application. Please do not mail transcripts as part of your admission application; we only accept unofficial uploads for application evaluation. If you are offered admission, one official paper transcript for each university attended will be required prior to the first day of the term. International applicants must also provide an English translation. *If you are currently enrolled in school, we require an unofficial copy of your transcript upon completion of the Fall 2012 semester.
- Three letters of recommendation. The recommendations must be uploaded within the application. A copy of the recommendation guidelines should be given to the those writing the recommendations. One academic recommendation is required if you are a recent graduate. If not a recent graduate, a letter from a supervisor attesting to your academic capability is required. The other two or more of the recommendations should be from those who have observed you in social work activities.
- Request ETS to send official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) exam scores to Graduate School. The GRE must be taken within five years of application. Test scores must be received by the same date that applications are due. Applicants should indicate institution #5816 (UNC-Chapel Hill) as a recipient when requesting score reports. Applicants who have a research or professional doctorate degree from an accredited institution may request an exemption from the GRE.
- Interviews will be required of all international and distance education applicants. The School of Social Work admissions office will contact all applicants for interviews.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language TOEFL scores for international applicants who received their bachelor’s degree at a school where English was not the primary language. Applicants must meet minimum TOEFL scores as set by the School of Social Work.
- International applicants must also submit a financial certificate and supporting documentation.
- Any Social Work applicant who has responded "yes" to any of the Honor Statement questions on the UNC Graduate School application may be asked to submit to a background check before their application will be reviewed.
Distance Education applicants must also submit a one-page response to supplemental application questions and complete a required interview in late January through March.
Advanced Standing applicants must also submit the following additional documents:
- Reference letter from BSW program director or field instructor coordinator, if a recent graduate (within the last five years). This can be one of the three required recommendations.
- If you have been out of school more than seven years, you must complete a supplemental form to be considered for Advanced Standing. This information helps us determine your eligibility for entering the UNC Chapel Hill School of Social Work as an Advanced Standing student. This form is only required for BSW graduates with more than seven years out of their undergraduate social work programs. If your request is denied for consideration for the Advanced Standing Program, you may be considered for the Full-time or the Traditional Distance Education Program. (Applicants may only apply to one program per year.)
- A copy of Field Instructor's evaluations from undergraduate placement will be required prior to the first day of the term.
Failure to provide complete, accurate, and truthful information on this application will be grounds to deny or withdraw an applicant's admission or for dismissal after enrollment.
Advanced Standing applicants must also meet the following requirements:
- Have a B or better average GPA in the last 60 credit hours of an accredited bachelor's degree and a B or better in all of the required undergraduate social work classes. Exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis.
- Completed a direct service field placement of at least 400 clock hours with a grade of B or better. Applicants with MSW supervision in their undergraduate placement are preferred.
Financial AidNew Full-time MSW and new 3-year Distance Education applicants beginning Fall 2012 must complete the School of Social Work Application for Financial Aid and submit it by March 31, 2012 to Jill Molee.
Advanced standing and returning full time and distance education students need to complete a seperate School of Social Work Scholarship Application and submit it to Jill Molee by April 30, 2012.
UNC School of Social Work
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3550
Fax (919) 843-8562
Doctoral students should contact Brenda Vawter for information on financial assistance.
Note about residency: If claiming N.C. residency for tuition purposes, complete the online residency application once admission has been offered. The residency online application should not be electronically filed and submitted to the Graduate School until after March 15. If you plan to claim North Carolina residency, you must complete the online residency form whether you have lived in North Carolina for one year or for 20 years. Residency will not be granted until the residency online application has been electronically filed and submitted to the Graduate School. Paper residency applications are not accepted; you must apply online. State law prohibits applications for an expired term.
For more information about the School of Social Work or the admissions process, please contact:
Student Services Manager
Or visit the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Social Work Admissions Office:
325 Pittsboro Street, Suite 370
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3550